When we learn our native language, we first listen, then we speak, then we read and finally we write. Listening, speaking, reading and writing are the four language skills we need to develop for complete communication. So how we Improve English Skills our English skills?
Listening and reading are receptive: input, that is, the exposure you have to the authentic language in use. Speaking and writing are productive: results, that is, the action of producing the language as part of the process of learning a second language.
To achieve these four basic language skills, you must surround yourself with English: make English a part of your life at home, at work, during your free time.
Read on to find tips that will help you overcome the difficulties you face in improving your English skills.
Expose yourself to the language as much as possible:
practice makes perfect, which means that if you want to improve a certain skill, you must practice it. As a beginner student, you will need to obtain all four language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
How To Improve English Listening Skills
Listening plays a very important role in learning any language. Effective listening ensures understanding and helps improve speech accuracy, among other things. How can you improve your listening skills? By actively listening, that is, paying attention not only to what is said but also to how it is said. Then listen:
- Music: ancient or modern; the type you prefer, but pay attention to the lyrics.
- Movies, TV shows, news, entertainment, radio, try the classics. If you can watch a DVD, you can watch the movie several times. Looking with subtitles and then, when you feel more comfortable, without them. You can have a radio in English at home or on your cell phone. Even if you’re not really listening, your ears will get used to the sounds of the language.
- Participate in plays, exhibitions, conferences, etc. in English, organized by English-speaking schools or communities.
How To Improve English Speaking Skills
It is usually the most difficult of the four language skills, but once you speak a little English, there are several ways to improve quickly and have a lot of fun.
- Participate in voice chats. Technology has come a long way in terms of social networks; Therefore, wherever you live, you will find a chat room to join.
- Speak and record yourself. This may sound funny, but it will help you see how you can improve by repeating the recording several times until you are satisfied with the results.
- Talk to your colleagues in English when you are not in class. You can even form a group to play, eat or just chat.
How To Improve English Reading Skills
It is a brain process and it takes time to develop: your mind needs to assign meaning to words, phrases, and expressions represented by symbols, in addition to understanding the grammar and structure of the language used in the passage to read. If you develop strong reading skills, it will be very useful for your future. You can read:
- Books in English and articles on the web. Perhaps books that you have already read in your mother tongue or that have become movies. Try to start with easy books, including children’s books and comics: the images will help you understand even if you don’t know all the words
- Change the operating system of your cell phone, PC or tablet to English. Associating a function with a specific word will improve its vocabulary.
How To Improve English Writing Skills
Although this is intimidating for many people, anyone can get used to writing with a little discipline and willingness to learn.
- Write the words or phrases you find useful with their meanings and examples. If you see them in prayers, you will remember them better. You can use them if you keep a diary.
- Write comments on blogs in English. Currently, blogs are websites that look like magazines. Many people use them to present their ideas on a particular topic or to explain things, from knitting a scarf to very complicated ones, where technical or philosophical topics are covered. A common feature of all these blogs is that they are interactive: readers can comment or discuss the ideas presented in the blog. Even if you are not a fan of blogs, you can find some that really encourage you to participate. So just do it. You don’t have to be an expert to write some sentences about what you think or feel about the content of the blog.
All the above-mentioned tips can be reduced to one: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Regardless of the learning style you have, whatever your native language, the key to acquiring and mastering a foreign language is to PRACTICE as much as possible.
Best Books To Improve English Grammar
- English Grammar in Use, R. Murphy (Cambridge)
- Oxford Practice Grammar Intermediate, J. Eastwood (Oxford)
- Oxford Practice Grammar Advanced, G. Yule (Oxford)
- Grammar for IELTS, D. Hopkins
- Basic English Grammar, B. Azar (Prentice Hall Regents)
Check Out: 9 “Open” Study Abroad International Scholarship 2020-21
If you would like to improve your experience just keep
visiting this web page and be updated with the latest news posted here.