“Side hustles” are very popular right now. For those who do not know what a side hustle is, it is something that people do in their spare time to earn extra money.
From driving for Uber or working a second job to starting a blog or YouTube channel, it seems like everyone today is making money off the main job.
Not all side hustles are created in the same way; some are worth your time and some are not. Side hustles come in two different forms: online and in real life.
In general, side hustles that get you out of the house tend to pay a little better, while online gigs are more affordable.
This article will be all about how to make money online (for those who don’t want to leave the house), and the side hustles that require you to put your shoes on will be covered in a future article.
Can You Actually Make Money Online?
Who has not seen the ads? “Work from home and earn [a large sum of money] every month!” When I was a teenager, I probably clicked on all these ads.
I wanted nothing more than to stay home all day and let the easy money from the Internet come in and pay the bills.
The more clicks on the ads, the more my frustration increased and my dream of living off the Internet died quickly.
You probably can’t get rich working online, but you can earn some money. I like to put jobs online in two categories: side hustles that anyone can do and side hustles that require special talent or skill.
How Anyone Can Earn Money Online?
There are some online tasks that almost anyone with a pulse can do to earn money. As you can expect, they don’t pay much. But if you’re really bored and looking for something to pass the time and earn a few extra bucks, it may be worth it.
Without further ado, here is my incomplete and unfinished list of the different ways anyone can earn money online:
- Amazon MTurk allows you to complete different tasks for money. These tasks are called HITs, or human intelligence tasks. Tasks range from research to studies and data transcription. It will take a while to get familiar with the system, but after that, you can earn decent money. Some tasks paid me more than $ 10 an hour, but you should probably expect to consistently make $ 5 to $ 6 an hour or less.
- Online surveys can be an interesting way to earn money. It is hardly ever worth the time it takes to complete a survey, but there are several different survey sites that have a good reputation. Prolific, Pinecone Research and Google Opinion Rewards are the only ones I can recommend. It won’t get rich, but if you have any downtime it may be worth completing a survey. I even received a box of free tissues to complete a survey once (fabrics were soft but very thin).
- Selling your stuff eliminates clutter and puts a little more money in your pocket. The most popular sites for sale are eBay and Craigslist, but there are many different apps and niche sites for selling specific items such as electronics or women’s clothing. You can even ask the person at the post office to collect your things so you don’t have to leave the house.
These are the only reliable ways to earn money online that don’t require any skills that I know of. Fortunately, if you have any skills or abilities, there are many more options available.
Online Side Hustles That Require Talent Or Skill
If you have a unique skill or ability, you can monetize it and earn money online. Many businesses turn to the Internet to find qualified freelancers for ongoing and one-time jobs.
Content creators are also going online more and more often. (I mean, what are they going to do, get a job in a newspaper?)
I monetized my writing in one of the ways listed below and I have to say there is nothing better than getting paid for something you enjoy doing.
Some of the items on my list below are specific to content writers and creators, but most of you with unique abilities should be able to find the side hustles for you.
- Upwork connects you with companies and entrepreneurs seeking freelancers. The environment can be competitive for well-paying jobs and it can be difficult to get your first gig. After establishing the Upwork platform and maintaining some ongoing relationships, things become easier. I didn’t spend a lot of time on Upwork, but some general rules: 1.) Never apply to programs that require a lot of work just to apply. I will send my resume and the standard essay sample that I send to everyone and if they want more than that I will stop pursuing the job. 2.) Define the relationship beforehand. How much will you be paid and will it be hourly or per job? Is it an ongoing relationship or a one-time job?
- Medium is a platform on which writers can publish their content and potentially earn money. Medium is ideal for writers looking to build an audience and reach more readers. They pay through their affiliate program, so popular stories and articles have a chance to earn decent money.
- Blogging can be very profitable for some people. The top bloggers make millions of dollars a year, but most bloggers make less than $ 3.50 a day. To be a successful blogger, you need to create quality content, publish regularly, and increase your audience. It takes a lot of work to get your blog, and success is not guaranteed, even if you are an amazing writer. (How To Start A Successful Blog)
- YouTube may be the most popular hangout for content creators. There are around 3 million YouTube channels with more than 1,000 subscribers and more than 23 million channels in total. The most popular YouTubers monetize their content and earn millions of dollars a year from YouTube and sponsorships. Not everyone has what it takes to be a successful YouTuber, and creating quality content that keeps people coming back and building an audience takes time.
- Teaching online is more like actual work than a side hustle. Hours can be flexible and you don’t have to work when you don’t want to. There are general education requirements that you must meet to be an online teacher, but the pay is very good. Some popular sites, like VIPkid, can pay the equivalent of about $ 20 an hour. If you have an academic background and are looking for flexible work and working from home, online education is a great option.
- Etsy allows you to use your creativity and sell handmade items (or other things) online. Etsy is a great place for creatives like photographers and designers to sell their work. If people really like your job, Etsy can become a full-time business.
There are probably many other ways that you can use your skills and abilities to make money online that I am not familiar with.
Selling your specialized work online can be very profitable, but it can take years to create a reliable income stream from the Internet.
Be sure to follow low expectations and don’t expect to make a lot of money when you start.
Know What Your Time Is Worth
Regardless of the type of job or labor, you’re performing online, make sure you aren’t selling yourself short. It is probably not worth completing irrational surveys for hours and end for an additional few dollars.
Earning money online may not be for you; It can be a lot of work and the return may not be excellent. Your time is the most valuable resource you have, so don’t give it for pennies on the dollar.