A study permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at Designated Educational Institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Most foreigners need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the necessary documents before applying. You must apply before traveling to Canada.

Your study permit is not a visa. It does not allow you to enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).

Eligibility Requirements

You can come to Canada to study if

  • are enrolled in a DLI
  • show that you have enough money to pay
  • your registration
  • living expenses for you and any family members coming with you to Canada and
  • return transportation for you and any family members traveling with you to Canada
  • obey the law, have no criminal record, and obtain a police certificate (if required)
  • be in good health and undergo a medical examination (if necessary) and
  • prove to an official that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires

Required Document

You need these documents to apply for a study permit:

  • proof of acceptance
  • proof of identity, and
  • proof of financial support

You may also need

  • a letter of explanation
  • a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
  • a custodian declaration (minors only), or
  • other documents
    • If we request documents from you for an application in progress.

How to Apply

Generally, you must apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. Some people can apply for a study permit from Canada. In some cases, you can apply when you arrive in Canada at the port of entry. Make sure you understand what option is available to you.

Get your documents ready

At the time of application, you must submit

a letter of acceptance from a Designated Educational Institution (DLI) you will be attending
and as many documents as possible for a complete application.

Canada will not be able to finalize your study permit until you submit a complete application.

Waiting to submit documents will cause processing delays. a letter of explanation for the missing documents due to COVID-19.

If you plan to study in Quebec, you must provide a valid Quebec Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ) or your letter of acceptance for your CAQ.

If you are applying for a study permit, you must apply online, whether you are outside of Canada or already in Canada.

You are only eligible to submit a paper application if

have a disability that prevents you from applying online and have an identification or travel document for non-national residents, refugees, or stateless persons.

If you weren’t able to submit all the required documents with your application, you can submit the missing documents through your online account or our web form.

We won’t process your study permit until you’ve submitted a complete application. Waiting to submit documents will cause delays in processing.

If you move or change your address, telephone number, or any other contact information after you apply, you must update your application.

While you’re studying in Canada as an international student, you must meet the conditions of your study permit and keep your profile information updated in your online account. If your study program is ending soon, you also need to know how long you can stay in Canada and what to do if you plan to stay longer.